Banishing Bacteria: A Guide to Properly Sanitising Your Home
Studies have shown that messy and dirty homes can harbour millions of lethal germs per square inch. While daily sprucing is imperative, knowing how to deeply sanitise and disinfect each and every nook of a house can make a huge difference in banishing bacteria.
Dirt-laden bathroom surfaces, spills on kitchen appliances, sinks, faucets, stained carpets, mould stains, etc are prime sources of germs infestation in a living space.
Common bacteria, fungi, viruses and other microorganisms can lead to various diseases, such as flu, cold, fungal infections, urinary tract infections, food poisoning and much more.
To maintain a healthy and germ-free home environment, consider the following guide and properly sanitise your home from top to bottom.
Let’s Get Started!
What are the Common Household Germs & Bacteria?
Before getting into the cleaning or prevention mode, discover the common germs and bacteria types and tackle them using the best methods. The germs and bacteria include:
- coli or Escherichia Coli : These can cause food poisoning and other gastrointestinal infections.
- Staphylococcus Aureus: It can cause skin infections
- Salmonella: These germs are found in raw and undercooked meat and cause foodborne illnesses.
- Streptococcus Pyogenes: These can cause scarlet fever, throat infection and skin infections.
- Influenza Virus: Causes seasonal flu and cough.
- Mould and Mildew Infestation: It can cause allergic reactions and can trigger asthma.
If you are moving out of a rented property in Victoria, hire budget end of lease cleaning Melbourne and tackle dirt, stains, grime and germs before the final inspection. They can help you get the full bond money back.
Know the Difference Between Cleaning and Sanitising
Do you want to promote a healthy indoor environment all year round? If yes, then you should understand the difference between cleaning and sanitising.
Removing visible dirt, dust, stains, spills and grease won’t sanitise the surface. You need to use proper products to kill germs and prevent further infestation.
It is the process of eliminating visible dust, loose debris, grime, spills, splatters and grease from different surfaces. Thorough cleaning of rooms and areas can transform your house into a sparkling glory.
Make sure you know the benefits of regular house cleaning and keep your house a germ-free living space for your family.
It is the process of reducing household germs, viruses, bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. You can use tried and tested products to keep germs at bay.
To achieve a clean and healthy home, combine both processes.
Tips to Clean and Sanitise Home Thoroughly
Here are some best tips and tricks to prevent the spread of disease-causing bacteria and germs in your abode.
1. Choose the Necessary Cleaning Supplies
Before getting into the process, make sure you stock up on all the necessary cleaning products and tools to tackle germs and grime.
It is good to look for cleaning solutions with antibacterial properties to effectively banish bacteria.
Here are some of the top tools:
- Microfiber cloths
- Vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter
- Sponges and brushes
- White Vinegar
- Baking soda
- Tea tree oil
- Mild laundry detergent
- Warm water
Tip- It is good to prefer eco-friendly sanitizing options over store-bought products to reduce exposure to hazardous chemicals.
2. Clean First : Get Rid of Visible Dirt
There is no use of disinfecting and sanitising a surface if it already laden with dust or stains. If you want to kill bacteria, start the process by cleaning your house.
Start the process by removing dry dirt, dust and debris using microfiber cloths, furniture, blind and other surfaces. You can use a vacuum machine to remove accumulated dust from carpets and rugs.
3. Tackle Stains Immediately
Stains, spills and splatters on surfaces can harbour germs and bacteria. To keep your house clean and germ-free, treat stains immediately. You can use white vinegar, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide to tackle spills and splatters.
Spray vinegar and warm soapy water on the affected area, and leave it for a few minutes before scrubbing and rinsing to achieve sparkling results.
You can also hire professional end of lease cleaning Melbourne service to get your rented property clean before the final inspection. They will help you get full bond back.
4. Pay Attention to High-Touch Areas
There is no denying that high-touch spots in a house harbour harmful bacteria and germs. Make sure you clean and sanitise the following surfaces using proper products:
- Light Switches
- Remove Controls
- Bathroom fixtures
- Handles of Kitchen appliances
- Chair handles
- Disinfect baby toys and accessories
Wipe down these spots using a proper disinfectant to reduce the spread of germs.
5. Thoroughly Santise Your Kitchen
If you want to maintain a clean and healthy cooking environment, regularly clean and sanitise your kitchen surfaces. Here are some great tips:
- Clear the countertops, and remove any clutter.
- Do dishes with hot water
- Wipe down countertop with baking soda
- Wash kitchen sponges and cloths in hot water to kill germs and prevent e.Coli infection.
- Clean and disinfect your sink, garbage disposal and faucets
- Spray vinegar, lemon and warm water solution on oven and other kitchen appliances to reduce the spread of germs.
- Use lemon and baking soda to santise cutting boards
6. Prioritise Your Bathroom
Sanitising your bathroom is essential for maintaining a healthy house. Here are tips to consider:
- Wipe down sinks, counters, faucets and handles with a disinfectant
- Apply baking soda and hydrogen peroxide on tile grouts and glass doors. Scrub gently and also clean showerheads
- Clean and sanitise a toilet bowl using vinegar solution
- Empty trash cans
7. Steam Clean Your Carpets and Sofa
Believe it or not! Steam cleaning is a safe and effective way to sanitise soft furnishings. Steam kills germs, bacteria and dust mites without using any chemical solution.
You can invest in good quality steam cleaner that can help you clean different surfaces with ease.
Here is a complete guide on carpet steam cleaning to keep germs and grime at bay.
8. Maintain a Regular Cleaning Schedule
Frequent cleaning of surfaces can prevent the spread
of bacteria and promote a healthy indoor environment. So, prepare a complete schedule and spruce up your home in a streamlined manner on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
You can also hire end of lease cleaning Melbourne professionals if running at the end of your tenancy. They also follow the REIVIC-approved checklist to give you customised solutions at the best price.
A tidy and germ-free house is a haven for prosperity and good health. With the help of this guide, you can clean and sanitise the entire abode properly using safe and sound products. Make sure you focus on high-touch areas, prevent mould growth and regularly spruce up every nook and cranny for desired results.