Taking care of the environment is a practice that begins at home. From plastic bottles & cans to hazardous cleaning chemicals, there are tons of things we use at home that can harm the environment. You can reduce the use of harmful cleaning products by going green.
The trend of using eco-friendly products – be it cosmetic or household chores is gaining a lot of popularity. You can also leverage the benefits of these fancy concepts by choosing natural cleaning products over store-bought cleaning agents.
Fortunately, there are some super-fantastic natural cleaning solutions that really work for you. These solutions are safe, environmentally-friendly and work wonders in keeping your living space free from dirt and germs. Even, many renowned companies are using green cleaning products while performing safe and sound end of lease cleaning in Melbourne.
If you are a housekeeper and want to protect the environment from chemical-based cleaning products, then you can use these 6 natural cleaning solutions that really work for you.
1. An Eco-friendly Window Cleaner
There are plenty of glass cleaners available in the market that contains ammonia and other harmful ingredients. These ingredients can create irritating fumes if mixed with chlorine. Instead of using hazardous cleaning agents, you can prepare an eco-friendly one at home. All you need is:
- White Vinegar
- A few drops of herbal oils
- You can prepare a natural window or glass cleaner at home by mixing these three ingredients: one part white vinegar, four parts of water, and add 6-7 drops of herbal or essential oil.
- Pour this solution into an empty spray bottle and use it to clean glasses, windows and other appliances without leaving streaks.
- Spray the solution on the surface and wipe off with a paper towel. You can repeat the process to see sparkling results.
- This solution really works when it comes to cleaning grease surfaces without even using harmful chemicals.
2. A Natural Carpet Cleaner
Nothing can be more challenging than maintaining a clean and shiny look of a carpet. Many people use a market-based carpet stain remover to minimise their cleaning efforts. Of course, such products can quickly remove stains, but the toxic elements available in these cleaning agents can drastically harm the environment.
Instead of using solutions that contain skin and eye irritants, you can prepare a homemade carpet cleaner using the following natural ingredients:
- Baking Soda
- Corn Starch
- First of all, vacuum your carpet to pick up loose dirt, food particles, hairs, pet hair and other debris.
- Now, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda or corn starch onto the carpet to kill bad odours.
- Leave the powder for 30-40 minutes and then vacuum again.
- To treat stubborn carpet stains, prepare a natural cleaning solution by mixing soapy water and white vinegar.
- Blot the cloth with cleaning solution and dab the spot with gentle hands.
- This will break down the stain and remove it from your beautiful carpet. Many carpet cleaning companies in Melbourne use this safe and sound cleaning method to give you quality outcomes without harming the environment.
3. Non-Toxic Scouring Powder
Do you know commercial scouring powder products available in the local market contain harmful chemicals and chlorine? These elements can lead to some severe health problems such as asthma, respiratory disorders or even cancer.
If you want to remove stains from hard-to-scrub surfaces without affecting the environment, then use the following ingredients to prepare a non-abrasive scouring powder:
- Baking Soda
- Soapy Solution/water
- You can use a wet-bristle brush to remove stains and grime from surface.
- For better outcomes, mix baking soda, soapy water and salt in an empty spray bottle.
- Apply the solution on the affected area and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Now remove the grease residue with a soft-bristle brush.
4. An Environmentally-Friendly Air Freshener
Lemons, baking soda and essential oils are great alternatives to store-bought air fresheners. If you are allergic to caustic and toxic room fresheners, then replace them with natural ones.
The eco-friendly ingredients like baking soda and essential oils work wonders in removing bad odours without harming the environment as well as your health.
- Take a generous amount of baking soda and place it in your refrigerator or cut lemons and place them in your trash cans. These can kill an unpleasant smell because these have natural citrus extracts.
- For a homemade air freshener, put lavender, cinnamon sticks, essential oils and lemon into the water. Boil it for 15 minutes. This will make your house smell fresh again.
5. A non-caustic Grease Remover
Removing built-up grease from pots and pans can be frustrating without traditional cleaning products. Well, this is a myth. Instead of using harsh cleaning agents, you can use the following to get rid of stuck-on grease from different utensils:
- Baking Soda
- Dryer Sheets
- Fill the greasy pot or pan with hot water.
- Place a dryer sheet into the pot.
- Leave it for 5-6 hours. This will break down the built-up grease and make your scrubbing job easier.
- After that, remove the dryer sheets and scrape off remaining grease and gunk using a spatula.
- For stubborn stains, you can coat the affected area with baking soda and let it sit for 2 hours and then again with spatula.
6. Metal Cleaner
Instead of using harsh chemicals, you can use white vinegar and salt to clean silver items or chrome. These two natural ingredients can bring back the lost shine of your metal item without giving you a hint of stress.
- Begin by mixing one tablespoon salt and baking soda with one part of water.
- Bring this mixture to a boil. You can add a strip of aluminium foil as well.
- Now place the dull silver item into the solution and leave it for 3-5 minutes.
- Blot dry using a clean microfiber cloth.
There is no need for abrasive, toxic and harsh products when it comes to cleaning, disinfecting, removing stains and deodorising a house. You can save the environment by using natural ingredients available in your kitchen. These ingredients can be used to prepare eco-friendly yet effective cleaning solutions that can make your house look cleaner.
You can also hire professionals for eco-friendly end of lease cleaning in Melbourne if you are running at the end of your tenancy. This way, you can get the bond money back without even harming the environment.